These materials can be used for independent study, but I also use them to support
3.1 Pre-workshop set-up
Optional reading on the big picture motivation: Why Git? Why GitHub?
It is vital that you attempt to set up your system in advance. You cannot show up at the workshop with no preparation and keep up!
These are battle-tested instructions, so most will succeed. We believe in you! If you have trouble, reach out for help and stick with it. If we have not pointed you to a specific forum dedicated to your workshop (check below), you can open an issue here and we might be able to help in the days leading up to your workshop (no promises).
Try this. Best case scenario is about 1 - 2 hours. If you hit a wall, we will help:
- Register a free GitHub account.
- Install or update R and RStudio.
- Install Git.
- Introduce yourself to Git.
- Prove local Git can talk to GitHub.
- Cache your username and password or set up SSH keys so you don’t need to authenticate yourself to GitHub interactively ad nauseum.
- Prove RStudio can find local Git and, therefore, can talk to GitHub.
- FYI: this is where our hands-on activities usually start. We walk through a similar activity together, with narrative, and build from there.
3.2 rstudio::conf 2018
rstudio::conf 2018 What They Forgot to Teach You About R Workshop content is ~25% Git/GitHub + R/Rmd/Rstudio. Registered workshop participants should use this thread on community.rstudio.com to discuss system prep woes. We will also have helpers on site to help sort out issues, especially during morning break and lunch on day 1. First use of Git is after lunch on day 1. Get as far as you can! Every bit helps.
Workshop runs during Training Days = Wed January 31 and Thurs February 1, 2018
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, our room = Seaport F
- 9am start, light breakfast available beforehand
- 10:30 - 11:00 break for snacks and coffee
- 12:00 - 13:00 lunch
- 15:00 - 15:30 break for snacks and coffee
- 5pm end of workday
3.3 CSAMA 2017: Statistical Data Analysis for Genome Biology
June 11-16, 2017, Bressanone-Brixen, Italy
3.4 satRday Cape Town 2017
February 16 - 18, 2017, Cape Town, South Africa
3.5 rstudio::conf 2017
January 13 - 14, 2017, Orlando, FL
Saturday January 14, 10:15am to 12:30pm, Sun Ballroom B
3.6 CSAMA 2016: Statistical Data Analysis for Genome Biology
July 10 - 15, 2016, Bressanone-Brixen, Italy
3.7 useR! 2016 Stanford
Monday, June 27, 2016
Full description on the main useR! website